The Jackson Laboratory
MarketOne Builders was selected above national competition as the design-assist general contractor for The Jackson Laboratory - JAX West Facility in Sacramento, CA. The JAX West project was designed to provide The Jackson Laboratory (Bar Harbor, ME) with a facility to keep pace with the explosive growth in biomedical research on the West Coast. The 112,000 square foot research and vivarium project began with an existing warehouse building that was in need of seismic upgrades and additional square footage for future growth. MarketOne was released in December 2008 on this budget driven, fast track project, and in cooperation with TJL and RMW Architects, our team continued to resolve program and budget constraints while releasing the seismic/steel package and long lead mechanical equipment. By March, the steel mezzanine and seismic work was complete and in November, only 11 months from release, we were granted occupancy by the City of Sacramento.
There were many challenges overcome, the most significant being the coordination of the overhead mechanical/electrical systems in a warehouse building with limited clearances and capacity at the existing roof structure. Additionally, MarketOne worked with TJL and the architect to select the right epoxy coating wall and floor systems to work within budget and existing floor slab conditions.
- Structural upgrades and 188,000 sq ft second floor
- steel mezzanine
- Vivarium, in vivo research rooms (38,000 sf)
- Central Sterilization (24,000 sf)
- Administration / Office (10, 000 sf)
- Warehouse (12,000 sf)
- Mechanical Interstitial space
- 420,000 Gallon Fire Water Storage Tank with 3,200 GPM
- Diesel Pump
- Autoclave, Rack Wash Equipment
- New Central Plant with Chilled Water, HP Steam, LP Steam, Emergency Generators, Animal Watering / Treatment, CO2, Compressed Air